Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sunday in Ludwigsburg


As there were some work shenanigans happening over the previous couple of days, I had to make Sunday my last day (for a while) in Ludwigsburg. I checked out of the hotel, and had a bunch of hours to spare before my flight time. So I went for a walk.

I visited the Palace that I had been ar the day before and seen that it was even bigger than I thought; in fact about 4 times bigger, with lots of statues and stuff. Apparently if is Germany’s biggest baroque palace – but isn’t everywhere? I did not go for a walk inside it; I wanted to cover as much of Ludwigsburg on foot as I could in a short period.


There seemed to be some fancy looking gardens there too – I guess they are nicer in the summer.


Across a busy road was some kind of a park, with a strange looking building on top of a hill. From reading afterward, it’s Jagdschlösschen Favorite, which, I gather, equates to a kind of hunting lodge / rest / retreat / happy place for the palace residents. It’s now used as a place for weddings and TV shows - I think.


I could see why it would have been a hunting lodge – there was a huge amount of deer in the surrounding park

I came across an interesting root/stump. Well, interesting to me anyway.

From there, I walked back to the market square - I seen this the night before- I gotta say, Ludwigsburg seems very quiet at night.


Seems they have graffiti in Ludwigsburg - seemed out of place!

The market square had some churches and a memorial in the middle.

People were filing out of one of the churches - it was all very calm - really nice Sunday morning!

I got stopped by a guy wearing a red jacket and a curly mullet who seemed to have issues with me taking photos - he spoke only in German, so I guess I will never know what he wanted..

From there, I walked back to the hotel and drove to the airport - a really nice trip. There I stood around ad waited for my flight to Austria... Bye bye to Ludwigsburg.. for now!

2 comments:

Josefine said...

Hello there! You seem to have not wandered very far and do not say much about the town. I grew up there and went to study in Berlin. I now live in London. I have been to visit Ludwigsburg this weekend to see my father. I did not get to see much of the town. My father says the train station is now a shopping mall with a train line attached to it. He is quite right.
I only just thought of googling Ludwigsburg and discovered this site! It never occured to me before!! I was actually hoping to find something about what happened to the Jewish population during the 1930's and 40's. No luck so far.
Good wishes,
Josefine

motorfamilymotorcityman said...

No - it was purely a business trip - I intend to visit more of it next time. There's a lot to see there - I like it.

Thanks
for visiting my site!
MFMCM