Monday, October 24, 2005

It's still about and it is horrible!

Some crap pisses me right off. Motorfamilymotorcitychick told me about this. The littlest family member here was playing a soccer game on Saturday. The ref was a teenager, and appeared to be of Asian origin. Now apparently he wasn't the most proficient ref in the world, he made a few bad calls and seemed more interested in being a teenager than a ref. In fact he was apparently terrible.

Fine. It happens. Tkae a poor ref as one of the playing conditions, and play on.

So, one of the mothers on the sideline commented that he should learn the rules of American soccer. Her daughter pointed out that he was American. The mother replied, no he's not he is Chinese.

WTF??

So, I am a soccer coach, I get no complaints about my origin or knowledge of soccer (except once.. more later). The only thing seperating me from this kid is that I don't look foriegn. Chances are he was probably born here or has lived here for a lot longer than me.

This is a case of the nasty nasty underlying racism that seems to be very strong in existnace around some parts. Now in fairness I have never felt discriminated against here much.. except for one issue which i sorted out with the leftovers of a curry and a skipfull ofguinness.. more on that later if need be.

A lot of otherwise decent people seem to have issues with people who look different. I dont look that different so I dont get hassled. Those who do look different are reffered to as foriegners. They are likely American Citizens, I'm not.

So the whole skin color predudice is still alive and well... it's nasty nasty nasty

Elsewhere RIP Rosa Parks. Now there's one a American I would have liked to shake hands with. Boy, I love a rebel!! Maybe there is something in MY heritage raising its lovely head there.

No comments: